Suits any tuna that we target on Avenger Gold Coast Fishing Charters: Mack Tuna, Yellowfin Tuna, Longtail Tuna, Striped Tuna. Use your favourite marinade and high heat to turn these pink flesh fish into an amazing eating fish.
Marinade (one of the following):
– Teriyaki (store bought bottle is the easiest)
– Honey soy garlic (put those 3 ingredients together, test it to get your personal favourite mixture right)
– French salad dressing (yes, you read that right, french salad dressing from a bottle makes a great tuna marinade)
– Any other marinade that you like can be used aswell!
– Sesame seeds can be added to any marinade, adds a bit of crunch and looks great
– Any veges you like go well on the grill also, maybe some chips into the oven as well.
– Take slabs/sides off tuna.
– Remove the RED parts from the middle of the slab, which is muscle/blood line surrounding the lateral line.
– Remove the rib section.
– Remove the skin.
– This will leave you with 4 loins, pink in colour, place the loins in the fridge to chill.
– Prepare your marinade.
– Slice bite size pieces from the loins and place in marinade.
– Prepare your sides, drinks etc.
– Setup a very hot grill, i use a gas cooker with the korean bbq style stove top attachment, but a webber or bbq is perfect also.
– Crack a beer, sit around the cooker with your sides and START GRILLING !
– Once on the hot grill, it should be turned after approx 15 seconds, then 15 seconds on the flipped side. Then pretty much eat it. Best when hot, straight off the heat, fish will continue to cook and possibly dry out if you leave it to cool.
– Usually the goal is for the tuna to still be rare in the middle, but cook it to your liking. Any fish, especially tuna can dry out if you cook all the way through.